Celebrity Engagement Rings — Holiday Edition
By Devorah Isenberg , Thursday, January 12, 2012
‘Tis the season...to get engaged, apparently! A staggering ten celebrities announced their engagements this holiday season, giving us plenty of stunning celebrity engagement rings to analyze and ogle as we put down the ‘2012’ novelty sunglasses and settle into the new year. For these celebrities, this new year will bring with it a star-studded celebrity wedding and hopefully, plenty more occasions to wear gorgeous celebrity jewelry so we can talk about it!
Here are the ten celebrities who announced their engagements over the past month:
1. Michael Jordan, the basketball icon, just announced his engagement to Cuban-born model Yvette Prieto, who he has lived with since 2009. Although Prieto has not revealed her engagement ring to the press yet, rumor has it that the ring cost upwards of $1 million.
2. Famously relaxed movie star Matthew McConaughey bought a very special Christmas gift for Camilla Alves, the Brazilian model and his girlfriend of five years: an engagement ring! The couple already has two children together, but now that Alves is wearing a gorgeous engagement ring set with a round diamond, it is only a matter of time before they tie the knot.
3. The third time will hopefully be the charm for pop singer Britney Spears, who recently revealed her engagement to her former manager, Jason Trawick. The ring, featuring a three-carat center stone, was designed by Trawick to look like a diamond-studded crown—the perfect engagement ring for America’s Princess of Pop.
4. Announcing his engagement only a week after that of his former girlfriend, singer-turned-actor Justin Timberlake is heading down the aisle as well. Timberlake has just confirmed rumors that he is engaged to his on-again girlfriend, actress Jessica Biel. Biel has not yet revealed her custom-designed engagement ring to the press, but given Timberlake’s famously stylish clothing line, it is sure to be a stunner!
5. Drew Barrymore has been an actress all her life, but when it came to tying the knot in real life, she looked far from Hollywood—and has just announced her engagement to art consultant Will Kopelman. Barrymore was recently spotted wearing a relatively modest celebrity engagement ring consisting of a princess-cut diamond set on a narrow, diamond pavé band.
6. Although she once publicly swore never to get married again, Oscar-winning actress Halle Berry has been spotted on vacation with her boyfriend, French actor Olivier Martinez, wearing a stunning emerald-set ring that could likely be an engagement ring. If she is indeed engaged, it will be the third marriage for Berry.
7. She may be 25 years his junior and not nearly as famous as he is, but Erin Brady is set to be the woman who makes an honest man out of rock star and American Idol judge Steven Tyler. Brady, who has been dating Tyler for seven years, is now wearing an engagement ring designed by Tyler himself—the platinum, diamond-studded band is set with an impressive five-carat stone.
8. Basketball legend LeBron James chose the most dramatic moment possible to pop the question to girlfriend Savannah Brinson: the moment the clock struck twelve on New Year’s Eve. Surrounded by friends and family, James offered Brinson a heart-shaped diamond set on a simple platinum band—and she accepted.
9. When you’re 69 years old, and your name is Aretha Franklin, you get to announce your engagement any way you would like. The Queen of Soul has recently revealed her plans to marry longtime friend William Wilkerson on a yacht this summer, and although she famously loves jewelry, she has declined to reveal her engagement ring to the public.
10. Irish actor Chris O’Dowd, who memorably portrayed a lovable cop in the hit 2011 comedy Bridesmaids, recently tweeted that he and British TV personality and comedienne Dawn Porter are engaged. Porter later tweeted a candid shot of herself wearing the celebrity engagement ring, a unique vintage-style ring set with a deep-blue sapphire.
For more specific questions ask our experts