For Spring, the season of growth and renewal, there is no better trend to highlight than eco-friendly fashions. For all of you fashionistas - when it comes to “green” design, there are some really amazing eco-friendly designers who have amazing work showing us that going “green” does not have to impact your personal style. In both the fashion and jewelry industries, there has been a progression towards green products with many companies incorporating eco-friendly materials into their collections and environmentally responsible business practices.
For clothing, organic cotton, bamboo, hemp and linen are popular sustainable textiles that are used to help eliminate our “carbon footprint”.
With jewelry you can indulge responsibly by wearing jewelry made with materials like:
· Recycled gold and other repurposed metals
· Conflict-free diamonds and gemstones
· Lab-grown diamonds and gemstones
Many of the designers who incorporate these green materials into their collections have also adapted their business structures to a point where everything is made locally and sourced using sustainable businesses.
In addition to some of the amazing designers who are incorporating these elements into their fashion collections, there is also a great movement in the bridal industry towards the use of conflict-free diamonds and recycled gold and platinum. For those of you Brides-to-be, check with your local jewelry store, or with an online vendor about the diamonds used in their designs. They should be able to provide you with information so that you know that your diamond ring was created ethically from harvesting to finish.
For us fashion addicts, the “greening” of the fashion and jewelry industry has enabled us to purchase the things that we love to wear, while leaving as small of a footprint on the environment as possible. I know that I personally love that I can wear my favorite pendant, or ring and know that I am not creating any further harm on the environment. This spring, be sure to check out some eco-friendly jewelry designers – I can assure you that you will not be disappointed by the amazing jewelry that is out on the market!!
Here are some retailers and designers who are ahead of the fashion trends and eco-friendly that I suggest checking out:
· Dreams of Africa Jewelry– Conflict free diamonds are used in the collections and a percentage of sales are donated to the World Centers of Compassion for Children
· Ruff & Cut – Incorporates conflict-free diamonds in their designs where percentage of sales are used to help “Shine on Sierra Leone”
· Prismera Design – Jewelry that is inspired by flora and fauna and crafted from stainless steel made from recycled materials.
· INDIE PEACE – Clothes that use sustainable fabrics, from the materials used down to the recyclable tag
· White Apricot – Fashions made from eco-friendly materials and uses water based clothing dyes