Jewelry Choices at the People’s Choice Awards
By Devorah Isenberg
, Monday, January 16, 2012
By Devorah Isenberg
, January 16, 2012
Last night’s People’s Choice Awards kicked awards season into full swing, and the fashion on display was a taste of the trends that will soon be dominating the red carpet at the Golden Globes, SAG Awards, and beyond. And this year’s red carpet was anything but boring, with celebrities leaving the usual diamond stud earrings and diamond bangles at home and instead rocking some pretty exciting new jewelry trends. A few strong trends emerged from the star-studded event—let’s take a look:
1. While colored gemstones have been all the rage for months now, this jewelry trend has taken a dark turn that fits more easily with winter’s subdued tones than the bright coral and turquoise jewelry of summertime. Black gemstones like onyx and black spinel are sexy, sophisticated, and totally on trend. Jewelry set with dark or black gemstones was spotted on a number of actresses last night. Kat Dennings, of 2 Broke Girls, paired a simple black ensemble with her trademark red lipstick and an intricate black gemstone necklace for a decidedly vampy look. Busy Phillips, from Cougartown, winterized a cobalt-blue body-con dress with dramatically oversized black gemstone teardrop-shaped earrings, while Twilight beauty Ashley Greene wore a cuff bracelet set with both diamonds and black gemstones. Whitney star Whitney Cummings added a dark touch to a sparkly green mini-dress with a black onyx cocktail ring—the black gemstone cocktail ring also made its presence felt on the ring fingers of Lucy Hale and Castle star Stana Katic.
2. They may have disappeared from fashionista’s ears for a few years, but mid-size chandelier earrings are back in action, if the People’s Choice red carpet is any indication. Neither as heavy and attention-grabbing as large statement earrings, or as predictable and neutral as the diamond stud earring, chandelier diamond earrings are the perfect choice for a more intricate outfit choice. Usually composed of a framework of metal set with dangling diamonds and gemstones, and somewhat resembling a chandelier, these earrings are feminine, fancy, and yet completely wearable. Samples of dramatic diamond earrings like these were spotted on Glee star Lea Michele, who paired them with a fringy white flapper dress, and Ginnifer Goodwin, who wore her hair in a retro wavy style and wore a bright pink dress.
3. If the last year in fashion has brought any style into the mainstream, it has to be the current obsession with all things bejeweled, beaded, sequined and sparkly. While fully beaded dresses continue to show up on the red carpet, some celebrities are displaying a new style in which a portion or feature of the dress is embellished or beaded in such a way that it itself functions as jewelry. For an illustration of this trend, just look at 2 Broke Girls’ Beth Behr, whose simple LBD was jazzed up with an elaborately beaded colorful belt. Pop star and People’s Choice Award winner Demi Lovato picked up on the clothes-as-jewelry trend as well, with a peach chiffon gown that featured a heavily beaded bodice section.
4. Yellow gold jewelry is back, and it’s no longer only being used for delicate, uber-feminine jewelry pieces. Cobie Smulders, of How I Met Your Mother, epitomized this new trend of bold, architectural and statement-making yellow gold jewelry when she paired a simple blue dress with a hammered gold bib necklace and two yellow gold bangles positioned at two different points on her arm. Comedian Kathy Griffin wore an oversized, chunky yellow gold bangle, and Happy Endings’ Jennifer Morrison sported a pair of matte-finish gold dangling earrings.
5. Occasionally, a jewelry trend arises whose genesis can be pinpointed to a specific star on a specific red carpet. The turquoise teardrop earrings worn by Angeline Jolie at the 2010 Oscars sparked a still-ongoing trend, and now it appears that Natalie Portman’s choice of earrings when she accepted her Best Actress Oscar last year has done the same thing. Several stars last night chose dangling tassel earrings that were strongly reminiscent of Portman’s violet pair. Tia Mowry of The Game wore silver tassel earrings with a silver satin gown, while High School Musical Vanessa Hudgens star took tassel earrings in a more vampy direction by wearing a gold pair with a sophisticated black-and-gold dress with an open back. Finally, Big Bang Theory star Kaley Cuoco rocked a pair of tassel earrings while successfully hosting the awards show!
6. But even as all these jewelry trends come and go, there remains one trend that has stayed fashionable through it all. Wearing your engagement ring or wedding band on the red carpet remains the most stylish and romantic statement a star can make. Host Kaley Cuoco, who got engaged in October, wore her halo-set diamond engagement ring throughout several wardrobe changes during the evening. How I Met Your Mother breakout star Neil Patrick Harris, having recently announced that he is engaged to his longtime partner, wore a simple engagement band along with his dapper suit. But it was his costar Alyson Hanigan who wore perhaps the sweetest style of the night. She wore diamond-studded hoop earrings, her round diamond engagement ring and wedding band, and, along with a sparkly alice+Olivia red mini-dress, a growing baby bump.