Best TV Proposals
By Devorah Isenberg
, Tuesday, March 13, 2012
By Devorah Isenberg
, March 13, 2012
On tonight’s episode of The Bachelor, bachelor Ben Flajnik will experience one of the most memorable moment’s of any man’s life—getting down on one knee and opening up an sparkling engagement ring box in front of the girl he loves. Of course, Ben is going to do it with a TV producer giving him directions, a camera crew surrounding him, and a ring provided by Neil Lane, one of the show’s sponsors. But even if a reality TV proposal isn’t quite real, it doesn’t mean it isn’t fun to watch, and exciting to see the dramatic reveal of the engagement ring. In fact, all of these TV proposals are completely fictional, but they are still adorable and romantic to watch. Which is your favorite TV proposal scene?
1. After a two-seasons-long relationship, fans knew that the proposal scene between Glee Club teacher Will Schuester and guidance counselor Emma Pillsbury on hit Fox show Glee was going to be something special. And the musical show did not disappoint, with a synchronized swimming number that ended with Will walking across the pool in a white tuxedo to present Emma with a simple, minimalist engagement ring that was exactly her style.
2. What makes Pam and Jim’s relationship on NBC’s The Office so adored by fans is how everyday and real-life it is. So when Jim finally popped the question to Pam, there was no marching band, no hot air balloon, and no JumboTron. Jim presented Pam with the engagement ring he had been carrying around for months in the parking lot of a gas station, in the pouring rain. How romantic!
3. It may have been the pilot episode of the show, but the proposal scene between Marshall and Lily on How I Met Your Mother has become iconic in its own right. After eight years together, Marshall proposes to his college girlfriend in the kitchen of his apartment, with a bottle of champagne. It’s simple, but sweet, and Lily and Marshall soon get swept away by the romance of the moment.
4. Fans of the show may be rooting for Upper East Side princess Blair Waldorf of Gossip Girl to end up with her on-again-off-again boyfriend Chuck Bass, but there is no denying the glamour and romance of her proposal from Prince Louis Grimaldi. After taking her to a real-life ball, Louis returns home with Blair and pulls out an antique-looking, gorgeous diamond engagement ring and asks her to marry him. Whether or not the relationship lasts, there is no doubt that this is one of the most impressive engagement rings on TV!
5. AMC hit show Mad Men is full of surprises, but one of the biggest shockers of the last season was ad man Don Draper’s sudden proposal to his secretary Megan. After Megan accompanies Don and his children on a trip to Disney Land, Don is instantly smitten and presents her with a dazzling diamond engagement ring in their hotel room. Will Megan and Don still be together in the upcoming season of the show? Only time will tell.