Top 10 Jewelry Looks at the Emmys
By Debi Wexler , Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:24 AM
The Emmy’s are a magical night. For one night of the year, the lawyers, doctors, government employees, paper salesmen, high school glee clubbers, and suburban moms that we know and love from TV transform before our eyes into their glamorous Hollywood alter egos. It’s the one night that we can imagine ourselves posing on the red carpet, hoodie sweatshirt and jeans miraculously transformed into hearts and arrows diamond jewelry and floor-sweeping couture gowns. This year’s Emmy’s were no exception, providing plenty of envy-worthy jewelry and fashion inspiration to those of us watching at home.
Here are the first five out of the ten best, most interesting and most enviable jewelry
looks from a diamond-studded night.
10. Glee star Jenna Ushkowitz managed to nail the futuristic-glam look, with a geometric white-and-black dress and slicked-back hair. Her simple jewelry look consisted of two opal rings, and a pair of white gemstone earrings that provided the perfect complementary note to the daring dress.
9. Bonnie Bentley is a stunt performer, an actor from Heroes, and a fresh face on the Emmy’s red carpet. She chose a relatively casual color-blocked print dress, but accessorized it perfectly with ultra-long drop earrings in black and gold, and a black and gold cuff watch.
8. Sarah Hyland may play a bratty teenager on TV, but in real life, she is a sophisticated young lady. Hyland showed off that sophistication last night, when instead of pouring on the sparkle and glitter like many of her fellow young starlets, she accessorized her salmon-colored chiffon gown with a dazzling belt and a single cuff bracelet, which she pushed high up onto her arm for a youthful, fun look.
7. You could sum up Kirsten Wiig’s Emmy’s appearance in one word: glowing. From her shimmering brown Zac Posen gown to her huge smile, Wiig’s whole look was golden. And that trend was reflected in her jewelry—a ring, earrings and stack of bracelets in warm, golden tones, courtesy of Fred Leighton.
6. She may wear hoodies and sneakers on TV, but Aubrey Plaza managed to convey Old Hollywood glamour with her wavy hair, red lips, and dramatic white halter gown. Her jewelry was perfectly on key, with simple gold earrings and two intricately-filigreed gold cuff bracelets—one on each arm!
The first half of the top five consisted of young Hollywood starlets doing their best to make it to the A-list. The second half is where competition heats up between seasoned fashion icons and celebrated stars of the silver screen. But who will take home the top prize for best jewelry look of the night?
5. Surprise Best Actress winner Melissa McCarthy might get mixed reviews on her purple long-sleeved dress, but there is no question that she nailed the jewelry choices. A delicate and yet somehow statement-making gold necklace fit her dress’ neckline perfectly, and matching wisps of gold earrings peered from her loose, wavy hair.
4. Jane Lynch changed outfits several times as part of her duties as Emmy’s host, but our favorite look was her red carpet ensemble of a strapless purple chiffon dress and a stack of bright, multicolored gemstone bangles, along with matching gemstone earrings. The look was fun, fearless and gorgeous, much like Lynch herself. Later in the show, Lynch paired a silver halter dress with antique diamond hoops, and a burgundy ball gown with a garnet cocktail ring.
3. Heidi Klum gets the “most outrageous” award of the night for pairing an incredibly ruffled Christian Siriano dress with a pair of ruby flower-shaped earrings and a flower-shaped ring that looked like they might be lifesize. But more is more with Heidi, who somehow also managed to pull of wearing her enormous diamond engagement ring and a third princess-cut diamond cocktail ring—all on the same hand. Her husband Seal gets an honorable mention for his gold pendant necklace worn over an unbuttoned shirt.
2.Gwyneth Paltrow’s midriff-baring lace dress may be causing controversy, but she deserves a prize for the way she artfully stacked a black cuff with a silver bangle, and for the tastefully small earrings that brought the whole look together. Gwyneth’s famous engagement ring
completed the look.
1. Kate Winslet knows subtle glamour, and her wavy blond updo, formfitting red dress and delicately decadent silver jewelry portrayed just that. Her bold red dress needed nothing more than a pair of silvery drop earrings and a single sparkling diamond bracelet to set it off perfectly. That single diamond cuff,
sparkling so much it could only be set with hearts and arrows diamonds, provided all the glitz the refined actress needs.
For more specific questions ask our experts