More than half of all men intending to get engaged plan on buying the engagement ring secretly and then surprising their significant other with a dramatic proposal. If you have a good sense of your girlfriend’s style, you can make a lasting impression of romance and dedication by choosing an incredible diamond engagement ring all by yourself and presenting it to your soon-to-be fiancé with a creative surprise proposal.
Whether you design a custom engagement ring
or choose a classic design and have it set with a great diamond, a surprise proposal will be remembered for a lifetime. But before you buy the engagement ring, you need to know her ring size. It will be much more dramatic and fun if she can just slip the ring on immediately after saying “yes”. It is also important to realize that some ring designs, such as full eternity diamond rings, cannot be sized. And many styles may have limited ranges of sizeabilty.
1. The easiest way to determine your girlfriend’s ring size is to take one of her rings to a jeweler to measure the size. Make sure it is a ring that fits her well and that she wears on her left ring finger. When she isn’t looking, sneak the ring out of her jewelry box and into your pocket. If she notices it’s missing, just act innocent and help her look for it.
2. If you can’t get a ring that she already wears, there are a few ways to get her finger size without it. You can jokingly buy her a toy ring from the grocery store checkout line and see if it fits her. Then swipe that ring and find out what size it is.
3. If you can’t figure out her ring size on your own, enlist a friend of hers. She might know the size offhand, or will be able to figure it out by going shopping with your girlfriend and trying on rings together.
4. Jewelers can sometimes estimate a ring size based on your girlfriend’s dress size and/or a photo of her hands. Ask your jeweler if he can do that, but remember that it will only be an estimate.
5. Make a joke proposal, and then tie a piece of string around her finger. Later, slip the string off and keep it. You can measure it and determine the ring size based on the length of the piece of string.
6. Some jewelry stores give out trick ring sizers that will help you figure out her ring size without her catching to what you are doing. For example, there are fortune tellers that have holes to fit your fingers.