Top 10 Engagement Ring Trends 2012
By Devorah Isenberg
, Tuesday, April 17, 2012
By Devorah Isenberg
, April 17, 2012
With news of Angelina Jolie’s and Brad Pitt’s engagement filling the blogosphere, it seems like the perfect time to look at some of the engagement ring trends we’ve been seeing lately, so all the commitment-shy couples out there who might take Brangelina’s engagement as a sign that it is time to pop the question themselves can have a quick update on what’s been going on in the world in engagement rings trends, 2012.
|Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
Angelina Jolie Engagement Ring
1. Angelina’s quarter-million-dollar ring may be out of your price range, but you can adopt her sleek and sexy style with a similar emerald cut diamond in your engagement ring. The clean lines of this rectangular diamond shape give the stone a unique look that stands out from the typical round brilliant diamond shape.
Vatche 18k White Gold Pink Topaz Diamond Engagement Ring
2. Gemstones – Although this is not the first year that gemstone engagement rings have been popular, this engagement ring trend seems to be one with staying power. Choose a high quality stone like a sapphire or ruby, and opt for a setting that surrounds the gem with smaller, high quality diamonds for added glamour and sparkle.
3. Using loose diamonds – Doing what’s good for the planet has never been trendier, so you can understand why many brides are opting to have loose diamonds they already own set into engagement rings. If you already own a piece of diamond jewelry that you don’t wear, look into having the stones removed and re-set in a new, more modern piece.
Vatche White Gold Solitaire Engagement Rings
4. Custom design – Custom engagement ring design has never been more accessible or affordable, making it one of the dominant engagement ring trends of 2012. After all, even Snooki’s fiancé designed her engagement ring himself!
Halo Split Claw Diamond Engagement Ring
5. Halo settings – Surrounding the center stone of your engagement ring with a halo of smaller diamonds is a great way to add a stylish touch to a simple ring. The halo setting has a certain vintage-style charm, plus it enhances the sparkle of any center stone.
3 Stone Rose Gold Morganite Ring
6. Colored metals – Platinum and white gold remain the most popular engagement ring metal choices, but more and more brides are opting for more creative choices. Vintage-style yellow and even rose gold may not give you the same optimal diamond light performance, but if you are looking for a simple way to personalize a classic engagement ring, consider a creative colored metal.
Custom Split Prong Halo Diamond Engagement Ring and Diamond Wedding Ring
7. Antique look – Instead of the dripping-in-diamonds look of 2011, one of the key engagement rings trends of 2012 is to add visual interest to your engagement ring setting through strategic use of embellishments like filigree and antique finishes.
Conflict Free Diamonds
8. Conflict free diamonds – Blood diamonds are so out. For a ring that you will be happy to wear in 2012 and in the future, make sure to choose a certified conflict-free diamond that was mined and processed without abusing or taking advantage of people in the developing world.
Custom Chrysoberyl Trilliant Yellow Gold Solitaire Ring
9. Unusual finishes – One striking element of Angelina Jolie’s engagement is the unusual ribbed finishing on the wide band that supports the center stone. Be creative with the finishing on your own engagement ring – look at matte, pebbled, etched, and hammered styles and find one that suits you.
Double Halo Diamond Engagement Ring
10. Twilight ring style – One enduring fashion trend inspired by the popular Twilight movies (sorry, it’s not sparkling skin) is the engagement ring worn by the main character in the final movies. Rather than a simple band with a single center stone, this ring consists of a flat center embellished with pavé stones. This style is striking, creative, and surprisingly affordable.
Movie Stars "Twilight"